Writer, author, editor, journalist
P.O. Box 1014
Crestone, CO 81131
phone: (719) 256-5367
B.A. in French literature, Randolph-Macon Woman’s College, Lynchburg, VA, 1978; graduated Phi Beta Kappa, spent junior year in Paris, France
1990 to present:
- Full-time freelance writer, author, and editor working with national, regional, and local publications. Areas of special interest include art-related features, artist profiles, architecture/home/design features, and book reviews. Contributed a biweekly column for Santa Fe’s New Mexican newspaper for 20 years.
- Magazine writing includes Southwest Art, Art & Antiques, American Craft, Native Peoples Magazine, Orion, New Mexico Magazine, Santa Fean Magazine, Mothering Magazine, Phoenix Home & Garden, Su Casa, Santa Fe Trend, and others.
- Author of Roxanne Swentzell: ExtraOrdinary People (2002); Joel Greene: New Mexico Modernist (2004); and Shelter from the Storm: The Photography of Kirk Gittings (2005), all from New Mexico Magazine Press.
- Other writing includes exhibition catalogue essays for galleries and art museums.
- Freelance editor. Published editing work includes Jean-Claude Gaugy: Linear Expressionist (2001); Dying: A Natural Passage, by Denys Cope (2008)
- Work with individuals in editing and guiding their writing of non-fiction, fiction and poetry.
- Editor and writer, Member News, quarterly publication of the Museum of New Mexico Foundation.
- Regional reporter and writer for the Socorro Defensor Chieftain, a bi-weekly newspaper in Socorro, New Mexico. Feature writer for the Magdalena Mountain Mail, a monthly regional historical newspaper with subscribers nationwide.
- Freelance feature writer with work in regional and national publications.
Awards and Honors
1987: New Mexico Press Association award for news writing
1989 and 1990: New Mexico Press Association Awards for feature writing
1993: New Mexico Press Women awards (2) for personality profiles
2009: Invited to participate in New Mexico Women Authors Book Festival